US$77 Million Investment to Expand Platform Equinix in Hong Kong
Equinix, Inc. the global interconnection and data center company, today announced that it is expanding two of its International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data centers in Hong Kong with a total investment of US$77 million (approximately HK$604 million).
The robust network infrastructure, reliable energy supply, safety from natural disasters and geographical proximity to mainland China continue to drive demand for data centers in Hong Kong.
Hong Kong is expected to see the fastest Interconnection Bandwidth growth in Asia-Pacific, growing at a 55% compound annual growth rate (CAGR) by 2021. The Banking & Insurance industry is even anticipated to experience solid growth in Interconnection Bandwidth at 79% CAGR in the same time period.
Shenzhen iAppPay Information Technology Co., Ltd. (iAppPay), a mainland China-based payments company which provides payment solutions for over 260 million end users and businesses, including WeChat Pay, Alipay, UnionPay, VISA and Mastercard, has chosen Equinix IBX data centers in Hong Kong to support the growth of cross-border payments driven by Chinese outbound travelers.
- Through the expansions of the HK2 and HK4 IBX data centers, Equinix will add a total of 1,500 cabinets of capacity, bringing an additional colocation area of nearly 4,800 square meters (equivalent to approximately 51,400 square feet). HK2 expansion was completed in March, while HK4 is expected to complete in Q3 2019.
- HK4 – new location in Hong Kong
- Located in Sha Tin, the second phase of HK4 provides a new location option in Hong Kong for customers. The geographic diversity will further enhance the interconnection provided by Equinix, ensuring that users benefit from distributed infrastructure that is connected securely and dynamically to provide a seamless experience.
- The US$34 million (approximately HK$266 million) investment in HK4 phase 2 will add 500 cabinets of capacity and approximately 1,500 square meters (equivalent to more than 16,000 square feet) of colocation space.
- HK2 – the largest IBX in Hong Kong
- With an investment of US$43 million (approximately HK$338 million), HK2 phase 5 added 1,000 cabinets of capacity and approximately 3,300 square meters (approximately 35,400 square feet) of colocation space, making it Equinix’s largest IBX facility in Hong Kong.
- Located in Tsuen Wan, midway between the Hong Kong International Airport and the central business district, HK2 is within walking distance of HK1 and HK3 and has diverse path fiber connections to the other four IBX data centers in the city.
- With the addition of the new phases, the five IBX data centers of Equinix will have a total colocation space of about 31,300 square meters (equivalent to approximately 323,400 square feet), increasing by 17%.
- Equinix Hong Kong data centers are business hubs for more than 505 companies. Equinix customers can interconnect directly to other customers and partners in their digital supply chain, including a dense concentration of more than 80 networks, more than 125 cloud and IT service providers, and over 140 financial services, including iAppPay.
- Founded in 2010, iAppPay is the first aggregation payment cloud platform in China. Amidst the double-digit growth of China outbound tourism, the company was looking for a scalable solution and global platform to support the growing volume of cross-border payment transactions. Through secure and low-latency interconnection with its customers, partners and service providers on Platform Equinix®, iAppPay is able to deliver smooth and seamless payment transactions for customers.