Microsoft marks Windows 10 anniversary with major updates[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]
Anniversary Update offers innovation highlights such as Windows Ink, Windows Hello, advanced security features and improvements to Microsoft Edge
Microsoft Malaysia today demonstrated the key features from its highly anticipated global Windows 10 Anniversary Update with innovative highlights such as Windows Ink, Windows Hello, in combination with advanced security features for consumers and enterprises, and improvements to the Microsoft Edge browser. The Windows 10 Anniversary Update will be rolled out to Windows 10 PCs around the world in phases, starting with newer machines first.
“The Windows 10 Anniversary Update will begin shipping on 2 August in the United States (3 August in Malaysia) and we’re pleased with the results that we have seen so far – we now have Windows 10 running on more than 350 million devices, with customer satisfaction at an all-time high. Users are loving Windows more so than any other prior version. In fact, 135 billion hours have been spent on Windows 10 since it launched on 29 July last year,” said Michal Golebiewski, Chief Marketing & Operations Officer, Microsoft Malaysia.
Some of the key features include:
- Windows Ink – Available for the first time in the Anniversary Update, Windows Ink is an all-new experience that puts the power of Windows in the tip of a digital pen, enabling people to write on a device as they would on paper. The Windows Ink Workspace features built-in experiences including Sticky Notes, Sketchpad and Screen sketch to easily capture ideas and turn them into actions.
- Security features for consumers – Since we receive over 250 million threats online in any given day, security has never been more critical. Windows 10 is the most secure version of Windows, and the Anniversary Update offers two new features for consumers – first, Windows Hello, and second, Windows Defender.
- Windows Hello – Over 90% of people have abandoned websites instead of locating a forgotten password because security hasn’t been easy enough to use. Windows Hello allows you to quickly sign in to your devices, offering secure biometric authentication for instant access for selected devices running on Windows 10, allowing users a hassle-free log in experience with their fingerprint or face.
- Windows Defender – Windows 10 comes with free anti-malware service, which now includes the option to automatically schedule periodic quick scans of your PC; as well as provide new notifications and summaries when scans are complete, threats are found and removed.
- Security features for enterprise users – Today’s cyberattacks have become more brazen and invasive, costing organizations an average of US$12 million per incident – wreaking havoc on corporate networks, stealing data, breaching privacy, and destroying customer trust.
- Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection (WDATP) – detects, investigates, and responds to advanced malicious attacks on networks by providing a more comprehensive threat intelligence and attack detection. WDATP now covers more than 700,000 endpoints and is being used in pilots by more than 300 active enterprises participating in 70 countries around the world.
- Windows Information Protection (formerly known as Enterprise Data Protection) –To help protect businesses from accidental data leaks – the biggest source of lost data – Windows Information Protection enables businesses to separate personal and organizational data and helps protect corporate data where ever it goes.
- Microsoft Edge – The Anniversary Update includes power-saving improvements in Microsoft Edge, using fewer CPU cycles, consuming less memory, and minimizing the impact of background activity and peripheral content like Flash advertisements. Microsoft Edge supports biometric logins for easy access using Windows Hello and introduces browser extensions such as Amazon Assistant, LastPass, AdBlock available via Windows Store.
- Dark theme and UI tweaks – Windows 10 Anniversary Update adds a dark theme for easier surfing at night, with setting available to switch apps that typically use a white background to black. The user interface has been tweaked so that the apps list is now an integral part of the Start menu and provides improved experience in Tablet mode.
“When we launched Windows 10 a year ago, our vision was to deliver not just the best and most secure version of Windows, but also to deliver on customer satisfaction continuously. We created Windows 10 around what users wanted, and the interest in our Windows Insider Program has helped us in rolling out Windows 10 updates faster than ever before. To date, Windows Insider participants have spent over 50,000 years’ worth on Windows 10, resulting in nearly 75 million pieces of feedback and over 5,000 enhancements to the Windows 10 product,” said Golebiewski. “What you see here today with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update is the latest step in our journey to create an operating system that people want and love. For the future, we will be focusing on promoting new exciting devices running native on Windows 10.”
Some of the new devices that are eligible for the innovations and offerings that come with the Windows 10 Anniversary Updates include the Acer Switch Alpha 12, HP Elite x2 1012 G1, Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Tablet, Lenovo Yoga 900s, and the Microsoft Surface Pro 4.
“The Acer Switch Alpha 12 is the industry’s first fan-less convertible laptop that gives users an incredibly silent, efficient and reliable operation. Cooled by Acer LiquidLoop™, the slim and lightweight Switch Alpha 12 is equipped with a versatile multi-position kickstand, an ultra-thin attachable keyboard and comes bundled with the Acer Active Pen. This best-selling two-in-one laptop offers seamless experience for Windows lovers as it comes pre-installed with the advanced Windows 10,” said Acer Sales & Services Sdn Bhd General Manager of Sales, Product and Marketing, Chan Weng Hong.
“Lenovo is constantly innovating to create new computing experiences that exceed expectations and meet the needs of our customers. The strikingly-sleek Lenovo Yoga 900s achieves this through its combination of technical prowess and design. Bundled with the feature-packed Windows 10, it enables our customers who are constantly on the go to meet the needs of their active lifestyles,” said Khoo Hung Chuan, Country General Manager, Lenovo Malaysia.
More information on the features can be found on the Windows blog.
Microsoft (Nasdaq “MSFT” @microsoft) is the leading platform and productivity company for the mobile-first, cloud-first world, and its mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.
 Windows Hello requires specialized hardware, including fingerprint reader, illuminated IR sensor or other biometric sensors.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]