VMware and APU collaborate to equip Malaysia’s next-generation digital workforce
VMware Inc (NYSE: VMW), the global leader in cloud infrastructure and business mobility, today announced a collaboration with Malaysia’s premier Asia Pacific University of Technology & Innovation (APU). The collaboration will enable students with the right knowledge and skills on virtualization and cloud technologies as part of APU and VMware’s commitment in developing relevant skillsets to support Malaysia’s growing digital economy.
The information and communication technology sector contributed a substantial RM 13.77 billion to Malaysia’s GDP in 2014 according to MSC Malaysia, with growth expected to continue into 2016. The VMware-APU collaboration will ensure that businesses have access to a ready workforce enabled through the comprehensive program, ranging from curricula development, training of staff and students to professional certifications.
“We see technology and innovation as key enablers for businesses on the back of Malaysia’s growing digital economy. The collaboration with VMware, the leading virtualization and cloud infrastructure provider, provides our staff and students a holistic program from academic to technical training and internship opportunities for real-world experience. Aligned with our direction and commitment in empowering the nation with industry-relevant IT skills, we are excited for this partnership to take flight,” said Prof. Dr. Andy Seddon, Dean, Quality Assurance and Partnership, Asia Pacific University of Technology & Innovation (APU).
As a part of its commitment in developing Malaysia’s next-generation workforce, VMware will be also be providing internship opportunities and on-the-job training for students to gain relevant work experience and witness technology in action.
“Investing in talent development is key to ensuring expectations and demands for the rapidly changing trends of technology in the industry and nation are met. As Malaysia advances towards developing its digital economy by 2020 under the Digital Malaysia initiative and Vision 2020, we are thrilled to partner with award-winning university, APU, in building the nation’s digital workforce to support businesses in today’s mobile-cloud era,” said Laurence Si, Managing Director, VMware Malaysia and Brunei.
The APU-VMware collaboration will include the following provisions to staff and students, and more:
- The creation of a Center of Excellence, known as the VMware Cloud Innovation Centre, where VMware software-defined datacentre and cloud solutions will be hosted on the APU campus, providing staff and students the platform for training and talent development. APU will also have access to materials and tools created by VMware engineers via the VMware IT Academy Program resources and VMware Laboratory. Training modules and activities will include webinars, technical deep-dive discussions.
- Leveraging VMware’s expertise in enabling businesses in Malaysia in today’s mobile-cloud era, VMware will collaborate with APU to jointly develop relevant APU-VMware elective or specialization module(s) in emerging technologies, such as cloud computing, software defined networks and software-defined datacentres. Joint APU-VMware Industrial Certification will also be provided to successful students upon elective module(s) completion.
- VMware will provide a 70 percent discount off VMware Certified Professional Certification examination fees for eligible APU full-time students as prescribed under the VMware IT Academy Program.
- VMware will also sponsor awards for outstanding APU students and/or graduates who have completed the training and gained VMware Certified Professional (VCP) and Associate (VCA) certifications.
- APU will appoint VMware Student Ambassadors to lead university activities to raise students’ awareness of the VMware IT Academy Program, VCA and VCP Certifications, and virtualization and cloud computing technologies.
The Asia Pacific University of Technology & Innovation (APU) is amongst Malaysia’s Premier Private Universities. APU offers a wide range of degree programmes in collaboration with Staffordshire University, UK with Technology as a common core, including Information Technology, Engineering, Business & Management, Accounting, Quantitative Studies, Media, Industrial Design and Creative Technology. These programmes nurture students into professionals and prepare them for challenging careers and roles in business and society globally. Professionalism, problem-solving skills, and creativity & innovation are some of the key attributes of APU graduates. The multi-cultural student community comprises both Malaysian students as well as International students. APU has earned an enviable reputation as an award-winning University through its achievements in winning a host of prestigious awards at national and international levels. It was announced as among the Highest Rated Universities in Malaysia, being rated at TIER 5 (EXCELLENT) under the SETARA 2013 Ratings by the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) and Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) on 1st November 2012. For more information, please visit: http://www.apu.edu.my/.
VMware is a leader in cloud infrastructure and business mobility. Built on VMware’s industry-leading virtualization technology, our solutions deliver a brave new model of IT that is fluid, instant and secure. Customers can innovate faster by rapidly developing, automatically delivering and safely consuming any application. With 2014 revenues of $6 billion, VMware has more than 500,000 customers and 75,000 partners. The company is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices throughout the world and can be found online at www.vmware.com.