State of Application Development Report from OutSystems Identifies Roadblocks to Digital Transformation in APAC
OutSystems, the world’s number one platform for low-code application development, today published its Asia Pacific (APAC) focused research report on the state of application development and the challenges associated with it. The report unveils detailed survey results from over 680 IT professionals from industries and markets across APAC.
“Our 2017 survey reveals that many IT professionals in Asia Pacific are facing significant challenges when it comes to digital transformation and application development,” said Mark Weaser, Asia Pacific Vice President for OutSystems. “Most organizations struggle with massive backlogs, no time to innovate, scarce resources and complex systems. And this problem only gets worse with more complexities in the business initiatives and demands for mobile and Internet of Things (IoT).”
The new research report provides deep insights from IT managers, enterprise architects, and developers addressing a wide range of issues. Digital transformation is creating new IT challenges at every organizational level. This OutSystems report takes a closer look at the most critical issues and how they’re being addressed, as to avoid missed market opportunity and lost revenue.
Seven key findings that impact every IT professional from the CTO to front line developers
- Huge backlogs slow productivity.Almost half of IT professionals (45 percent) reported having a backlog of mobile apps, some with more than 10 apps waiting to be developed.
- The skills gap is hampering growth.Although 93 percent of respondents said that mobile functionality is either a requirement or very important, 42 percent of organizations reported facing a shortage of mobile developers and 53 percent reported a knowledge gap in the skills needed to undertake mobile.
- Development times are excessively long. Almost three quarters (69 percent) of IT professionals said it takes more than three months, on average, to develop a mobile app. For 8 percent of respondents, the time required stretches out to over a year. Not surprisingly, this is leading to considerable dissatisfaction, with nearly half (43 percent) of respondents saying that they’re not happy with the current velocity of their application development team.
- Barriers to success are overwhelming.IT managers face all kinds of challenges when it comes to mobile development. Lack of skills, time and budget were the top challenges.
- Mobility requirements are soaring.Mobility was the most common business requirement for apps, up from sixth place in our 2015 survey. In addition, 93 percent of respondents noted that it was either a requirement or very important to incorporate mobile functionality into their current and future applications.
- Experimentation is on the rise. Organizations are focused on finding the right technical approach to building their apps, which has led to significant experimentation. In fact, 44 percent of IT professionals said they’re either using, or considering using, low-code or no-code platforms to support their IT strategy. 43 percent also said that their organization is enabling citizen developers to take advantage of this technology.
- Low-code is growing. Companies that have adopted low-code development platforms are seeing improvements in terms of faster mobile app development times.
To download a copy of the full report, click here.
About OutSystems — Thousands of customers worldwide trust OutSystems, the number one low-code platform for rapid application development. Engineers with an obsessive attention to detail crafted every aspect of the OutSystems to help organizations build enterprise-grade apps and transform their business faster. OutSystems is the only solution that combines the power of low-code development with advanced mobile capabilities, enabling visual development of entire application portfolios that easily integrate with existing systems. Visit us at www.outsystems.com, or follow us on Twitter @OutSystems or LinkedIn at www.linkedin.com/company/outsystems.